Activity remains "active" in the Bam*_Active table when using continuation

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I am using your tool to great effect, however my requirement is to log across multiple applications which means that I need to use continuation.

When continuation is set on the object by using the EnableContinuation() function it appears that the activity is left "active" and remains in the bam**_Active table

When the final call is written and the activity is complete the data in the active table is updated, but the data does not get moved to the completed table.

1. Is this a problem

2. How can I make this data move.  The completed flag in the active table is set to 1, sql and sql agent seems to be running fine.

I can not fathom this out.  Any chance of a push in the right direction

Ta

Dino

Developer
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:20 AM

It's always quite tricky to get continuations to fully work properly.  In addition to having the SSIS jobs, tracking host(s) and SQL Agent jobs running, you have to be sure to call the EndXActivity() method in each application.  If you don't end the activity in each step you could see the behavior you're describing.  Your best bet for this is the MSDN Forums for BizTalk.

Thanks,
Tom

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Thanks for the response Tom,  

Have managed to resolve it, you are correct that I was not calling endactivity() at the end of each write.  Once I did this the activity was moved to the correct db table and marked as closed.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Hi Thomas,
First of all, thanks for the tool.. used in multiple projects.

While debugging a CONTINUATION scenario, I have encountered an issue.

Consider student schema which has sno, sname. We are trying to update them with different BufferedEventStream objects (simulating multiple orcs).
Two variables(bes1, bes2) are created of the same type i.e. BufferedESApi.XXXActivity type.
bes1 is created with the default constructor while bes2 is created with the continuation token as activityId.

There are 3 expression shapes.
  1. First expression is Beginning activity, setting sno, committing and ending activity
  2. Second expression is getting the continuation token.
  3. Third expression, initialized bes2 with continuation token. Then it is setting sname, committing and ending the activity
Issue
When I ran the scenario without break points, both the sno and sname are updated into the COMPLETED table.
However, when I put breakpoints on 2nd and 3rd expression shapes, the 2nd field (sname) gets left in the ACTIVE table.
Image - See here